Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law
19127644

I work ambulance company as an emt. Recently, I was

Customer Question

I work for an ambulance company as an emt. Recently, I was sent home 7 hrs and 42 mins early on a scheduled shift because no partner was available to work with me. Am I entitled to be paid for that time? I was there, ready willing and able to work and I was offered no alternative assignment .
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Thank you for the information and your question. Assuming that there is no written contract that guarantees you a certain number of hours work, the employer could send you home early without paying you for the entire day. However, Mass. does have a reporting pay law that says that if an employee is scheduled to work over 3 hours and shows up and then is sent home, the employer must pay them for at least 3 hours of work even if they work less. The catch is that the law only requires that the pay be at minimum wage. You can see a discussion of the law at the following link: http://www.mass.gov/lwd/labor-standards/minimum-wage/opinion-letters/2007/07092007-reporting-pay-provision-three.html Please let me know if you need any clarification.
Hello again, I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer that I provided to you on the 20th. For some unknown reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (in the pop up box for this question, which is how we get credit (paid) for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating,please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/ Thank you.