Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

I got fired one day a week off after working 7 days

Customer Question

I got fired for asking one day a week off after working 7 days a week for a year and a half and getting one week of about two to two and half months. Last tear I got 5 weeks off whithout pay of free time and When I worked it was 12 hr shifts. I was doing elder care and got to sleep in the guest room but the day shift had priveliges to use my sleeping space at will. I never missed a day, until I got an absased tooth and called unable to work one night, then another day when I got kidney stone pain. I asked for a day off a week, she said she cant get anyone for one night only. I will have to take 2 days of new persons choice and I said I want Friday and Saturday off! She gave me off permanently. Is it legal to torture a worker like this?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
Just to be clear, you were terminated for ASKING to take the day off, and not for actually failing to appear at work? Please advise.