Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

My employer never supplied a job description for.my position

Customer Question

My employer never supplied a job description for.my position the hr manager didnt even have one to provide on my maternity papers, and when asked to be provided one my manager said he didnt have one that he was working on it and that we were to report
to.him daily for assigned duties. After he told.me that i started searching for a new job when i came across an ad on craigslist for the exact same position that i am in with the qualifications and requirements for my position. Is this fair and legal for the
employer to do this?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
HelloThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.So to be clear, you are wondering if it is legal for the employer to not have a Job Description? When you were hired, were you told what you would be required to do?
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
Also, are you under a contract - that would be a written agreement with a Start Date and an End date?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes i was unformed verbally but since i got hired the duties of my position constantly changed and when i asked why we had to due a certain task they qould say it's part of my job description and if i didnt do it i could get fired for insubordination but how do i know what i can or cannot say no to without jeopardIzing my job if they are always changing it and wouldnt provide one
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didnt have an ending date on when my employment would end
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
HelloThank you. Unfortunately, without an employment contract with a start and an end date, you are an "at will" employee and your employer may change your duties as needed. I suggest if what the employer is asking you to do is illegal, then of course you do not need to do it and can quit and be eligible for unemployment. But if the duties are legal, then the employer has the legal right to request employees do as they are told or be terminated. If this is something you should not do because of some medical restriction due to your pregnancy, then you need to supply them with that information from your doctor Please note that I can only provide information for what you ask. In that regard, if you have other questions or need clarification, please let me know here. Otherwise, I would appreciate a Positive Rating as that is how I get credit for my time.​Thank you