JackJD
JackJD, Lawyer
Experience:  I've been in practice 30+ years, concentrating on employment law for 15 years. I enjoy helping people.
64048581

I work company that hired a service man that has no certificatio

Customer Question

I work for a company that hired a service man that has no certification atcall worked in office before he came here this equipment is junk no brakes on 6 out 11 trailers I have about 400 pictures bunch of recorded phone calls that they say the brakes font work but will be fixed later today that happened a month ago he signed off on brakes on trailer 2055. The next day I set brakes it would not hold trailer turned over and if guy where I was dumping didn't pull me out of way i wiuld be dead missed me by 2 feet there is so much more got a bunch of pictures of the equipment and text and phone calls recorded is the wrong way they handle things
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  JackJD replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will try to answer your question. I have two points:First, Georgia is an "employment at will" state. This means that you can be fired for any reason, no reason, or a bad reason. The one exception is that you cannot be fired for an action that is protected by law.You have a right to work in a safe workplace. It sounds to me like you do not believe that your job is safe, with this guy passing trailers that should not be passed.Your only course of action is to file a complaint with the U.S. Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OSHA). They will investigate, and may cite your company for the state of the brakes on this trailer.I want to be realistic with you, doing this will probably get you in trouble with your company. The law says they are not supposed to retaliate against you for the complaint. But what the law says and what actually happens may be two different things. So, only go forward if you really think you must, and be prepared for some difficulty, maybe even being fired.If you decide to go forward, find the nearest field office of OSHA by looking on their website.I wish you good luck, whichever way you decide to go.If you feel that I have answered your question, please rate the answer by clicking one of the happy faces below.