ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

I was curious. If I signed a non compete contract but it was

Customer Question

I was curious. If I signed a non compete contract but it was over six years ago in texas and I am a at will employee and the non complete was not notarized is it still valid.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. If it was otherwise valid, it would still be valid. Most employees in Texas are "at will". Texas courts have held that continued employment or employment after signing a noncompete is sufficient consideration, so a contract or additional bonus is not needed. The length of time that you signed it likewise is not relevant (in fact, courts will view a longer period as more relevant in enforcing a noncompete, as you have longer access and exposure to trade secrets and other confidential information, as opposed to someone who is only there 1 year). Notarization is not required for pretty much any contract (unless it's specifically required by law or by the terms of the agreement itself). So in short, assuming that it's an otherwise valid noncompete (and there's no indication that it's not) it would not be invalidated by any of the facts that you cited. I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is the law. I hope that clears things up anyway. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!
Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?
Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)
My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better) AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you! ▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service as OK Service or higher. It's only then I am credited.