Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Lawyer
Experience:  I have significant experience in employment law.
63724254

In NE, management in a different area of my existing organization

Customer Question

In NE, management in a different area of my existing organization solicited me to take another role. Both they and HR wanted me to talk to my existing manager and give him notice that I was moving to a new role BEFORE HR would extend the formal offer. I refused for 3 weeks because that would not allow me to negotiate a salary for the new role. Finally, I was verbally offered a salary by the hiring manager which I accepted and we agreed to. HR again said they would not extend the formal offer until I talked to my existing manager and worked out a transition plan. Since we verbally agreed on the salary, I talked to my manager and gave my notice, but then HR offered me a new salary substantially lower than what I agreed to. What can I do?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Attorney2020 replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I will be assisting you today.
That is unfortunate. You need to explain to HR that you had a oral contract and you would like to enforce such contract. The problem then becomes that position could create tension with the company causing turmoil. The more political approach would be to ask why the salary changed from the one already offered and negotiated so that you can understand the underlying reason for the significant decrease in salary so you can exercise any alternative options. That way the company feels as if they may lose you altogether because of their scrupulous business practices.
There may be a case for breach of contract as a last resort but the evidence will be he said/she said.
I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may b e credited for my time. Thank you.
I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation. Thank you.PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER.