Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  More than 30 years in legal practice.
17897874

If a person has to leave his job after 20 years because of health reasons, and there is

Customer Question

if a person has to leave his job after 20 years because of health reasons, and there
is nothing else there for him to do, (says the employer is he entitled to collect unemployment?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney. I will do whatever I can to provide an honest and accurate answer to your question.
As a general rule, leaving a job voluntarily, without good cause, would render you ineligible for unemployment. Health issues may be considered good cause. However, you also need to be available and searching for full time employment. So, if your health issues preclude you from working full time then you would no longer be eligible for unemployment and should look into disability benefits.
I hope this is helpful. If you have any follow up questions feel free to post them. It is never a problem.
Thank you.