Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

I was recently informed (after 18 months of employment)

Customer Question

Hi- I was recently informed (after 18 months of employment) that the grade level my company hired me at is lower than the grade level that we signed in the offer letter statement. This reflects a discrepancy between the signed contract and company records, which was "intentional" per the Partner's decision. I was not aware of this grade discrepancy until 2 weeks ago, and had I known, I would not have agreed and signed the offer letter.
What are my options?
Employer: large British engineering corporation
My employment location: New York, NY
Thanks!!
Q.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you have a signed contract that states you have a particular salary, then they are bound to pay you that amount unless the contract also says your employment is at will. If your letter of employment says your employment is at will, that means the employer can actually change your rate of pay and your options are to agree, negotiate with the employer or look for new employment I am afraid.
If your agreement letter does not say you are an at will employee, they would be in breach of contract for them trying to now change the contract on you and you can sue them for breach of contract.