Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

I am employed in Idaho as a therapist in a residential program.

Customer Question

i am employed in Idaho as a therapist in a residential program. the owners have asked all employees to sign new employment agreements- 1. I was given a raise, my letter states that my raise will go in to effect for the pay roll of July 20,2015. They are now saying if I do not sign the new agreement I will not get my raise. Is this legal and what recourse do I have?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Legally, employment in Idaho is at will. This means the employer can give raises at their own discretion and while the employee can seek to negotiate terms with the employer, any raise is ultimately up to the employer. So, if the employer is seeking an employment contract in exchange for a raise, they can do so. If the employee refuses, which they have every right to do, the employer can refuse the raise or could terminate the employee because an at will employee can be terminated for no reason or any reason except based only on the employee's age/race/sex/disability/national origin and the employee's sole recourse in that event is seeking unemployment.
If the contract contains a non-compete clause, they are valid in Idaho and you need to read it carefully because the courts will enforce them. If you are not willing to agree to non-compete terms, you can seek to negotiate that with the employer, but ultimately you have to decide whether to agree to take the deal or give up the raise and refuse to sign.