John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

Is full-time employment based on average hours per week

Customer Question

Is full-time employment based on average hours per week worked?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today.
There is no definition of "full-time" employment under any state or federal law. The law states only that those working in excess of 40 hour per workweek must be paid overtime.
Health or other benefits policies the employer has may be triggered if the employee average a certain number of hour per week in a given month. However this is contractual and not a legal mandate. In other words, the insurer makes this number of hours up (usually its around 32 hours) in order for the person to get coverage.
I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.