How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 8183
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife works City of Palm Beach Gardens. She is considered

Customer Question

My wife works for the City of Palm Beach Gardens. She is considered a part-time employee although she has worked what I consider full time hours for several years. Last year she was told she would be given health insurance by August 1st after achieving a given number of hours. She was recently told that the insurance will not happen until October 1st.
I know an employer can decide for themselves what they consider full time hours. However, I believe a City Like Palm Beach Gardens should have a specific standard. Also, if there is any other employee working the same number of hours as my wife, yet collecting benefits as a full time employee, might there be grounds for claiming discrimination?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
if she is working full time hours, she cannot be denied benefits. She may claim discrimination and misclassification. She may pursue with HR, having a lawyer speak to HR and then escalate through court action and the labor board.
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
Gender discrimination and age discrimination are also avenues to explore.
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
Often when pushed, the employer will reconsider and do what is right, not wanting to be sued.Let me know if the answer is clear and acceptable.
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
If I can clarify anything, please write back and ask me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot talk until after 4PM because of work schedule
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Legal Discussion by Email. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
just write back and let me know if you have a follow up. dont have phone capability
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
can continue later whenever you are free.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please carry on this conversation with my e-mail address. I would like to know if you recommend retaining an attorney for this?
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
I would try to negotiate with HR directly first, and if they dont take it seriously and cover it, you should hire a lawyer.
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago. and are good resource directories. Kindly let me know if the answer is acceptable.

Related Employment Law Questions