Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

I fell 30 ft. from a palm tree I was trimming on a

Customer Question

I fell 30 ft. from a palm tree I was trimming on a residential tree job. I was severely injured , needing two surgeries to mend my blown out hip socket and shattered wrist. I don't have health insurance. My question is: can the home insurance policy take
care of my medical bills since I was working on their property and fell during their job contract.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If this was a work related accident and you did not have the optional workers compensation insurance or personal health insurance this could be a problem. Homeowners insurance is not liable to provide coverage unless some action of the homeowner caused your injury or unless some defect in the property of which the owner had notice and failed to warn of the defect caused your injury.
If you just fell from the tree and it was not through negligence of the homeowner, I am afraid their homeowners would not provide coverage as the homeowner would not be liable for your injury.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your response. I have a follow up question: You mentioned a defect in the property of which the owner failed to warn me about which caused the injury would make the home insurance policy come into play. There were power lines running through the palm tree I fell out of. I couldn't access the side of the tree the power lines ran through, and this caused me to struggle and fall. Are the power lines and the fact the home owner made no such effort in warning me about them enough of a defect?
Thank you for your reply.
The power lines are not a defect. As a tree trimmer, that is a risk that every tree trimmer is supposed to be aware of.