Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

I was off on 4/8/2015 and I filed

Customer Question

Hello
I was laid off on 4/8/2015 and I filed for unemployment on 5/31. During the summer, I was enrolled in any classes. I was enrolled in school when I was terminated. I receive work study jobs as part of my financial aid. I have some questions:
1. Should I be saying yes to school, during the summer when I claim my unemployment benefits via phone
2. I am told that work study jobs count as income and may lower my unemployment benefits. Is this correct?
3.Will my unemployment insurance decrease once I report that I am in school for the upcoming fall semester?
4. Does unemployment benefit increase?
5. I need to file for the weeks I was laid off from 4/8-5/31.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am afraid you have to disclose to unemployment if you are in school, because that can impair your ability to be available for full time employment and could impair your benefits.
Work study jobs must be reported as income, because they are not loans you have to repay.
Your unemployment can indeed decrease because you are working work study and because of being a full time student.
Unemployment does not go up, I am sorry to say. The benefit stays what it was when you filed or decreases based on you earning money from work.
You could be denied if you are in school and cannot accept full time employment because of school, that could disqualify you from benefits completely because you cannot meet one of the major requirements to collect benefits.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this also true, if I am enrolled in school part time?
Thank you for your reply.
It is only grounds to deny your benefits if the school could stop you from taking suitable employment.