Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

I suffered a workmans comp claim injury while working

Customer Question

I suffered a workmans comp claim injury while working for the University of the Virgin Islands which is operated by the territorial government of the Virgin islands. The workers comp section of the territorial government is broke and did not pay a portion of my claim, which I paid out of pocket. I am still having health issues from my injury two years later despite exhausting all avenues to get reimbursed. My question is: can I sue the territorial government of the Virgin Islands for pain and suffering and for not paying my workers comp claim and if so, how do I go about doing this?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under VI law, only if an employer has no Workers’ Compensation coverage and is sued for damages by an employee, the employer may have to pay substantially more in damages including medical bills, lost earnings into the future, and pain and suffering.
However, if they have workers compensation, the employer shall be liable for reimbursement to the Government Insurance Fund for ALL expenditures incurred plus a 30% penalty. So you have to file a workers compensation suit and you would have to pursue the payment of your actual damages, plus the 30% penalty.