Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Lawyer
Experience:  I have significant experience in employment law.
63724254

Employee Reimburse computer or training? We were told

Customer Question

Employee Reimburse for lost computer or training? We were told that in NJ, you are not allowed to make any payroll deductions from an employees pay for other than taxes, beneifts and things like that. We have employees sign an agreement stating that if they lose or fail to return their computer when they leave, they agree that we can make a deduction from their last paycheck.
Does the agreement we have them sign NOW allow us to make that deduction since they agreed to it?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Attorney2020 replied 1 year ago.
No it is not legal. See the New Jersey Department of Labor website :https://lwd.state.nj.us/labor/wagehour/content/employer_faqs.html#q30 You may not deduct an employees wages for property damages by an employee. I would void all such contracts and not make any deductions from en employees wages. I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you I advance for your cooperation. Thank you.
I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.
Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation. Thank you.

PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER.