Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law
19127644

I could use some help in regards ***** ***** law and Alabama

Customer Question

I could use some help in regards ***** ***** law and Alabama as well as in Texas I previously worked for HealthSouth rehabilitation hospital and now work for and compass which was purchased by HealthSouth earlier this year technically in compass is still HealthSouth I was director of clinical services in Plano Texas got excellent reviews made the top quarterly bonus over all other directors on a regular basis and now we're guaranteed a position at encompass but my position was not available so now I'm in a lower position with the same pay as I was when I was Director of Clinical Services I am being targeted to be fired by encompass where I have had lack of training I have had no guidelines whatsoever and and have been written up twice in the last 5 days my question is how could I have gone from excellent performance to non-performance within a matter of one month I would like some advice as to what my next steps are thank
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Thank you for the information and your question, and I am sorry to read about your situation. What I say about the law applies to both Alabama and Texas since they are both employment "at will" states. I can't guess what the motivation is of your employer since I don't have all of the facts, including those from their perspectives, so I can't really answer the actual question you posed. That said, employers are generally allowed by the law to be as arbitrary and misguided as they deem appropriate in their employment actions as long as they are not violating a written contract, written company policy or an employment discrimination law.In other words, in an employment "at will" state, an employer can take an adverse employment action, including termination, for any, or no, reason and with no notice or warning unless one of the exceptions I mentioned above apply. That doesn't make the situation fair, but it would be lawful, again assuming one of the exceptions doesn't apply. Of course if you believe that your situation fits into one of those exceptions, then if you are terminated you should consider sitting down with a local employment law attorney to decide what your next step will be. Please feel free to ask follow up questions if you have them. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.
Hello again,
I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 13th. For some unknown reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (in the pop up box for this question, which is how we get credit (paid) for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.
In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/
Thank you.