Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

My employment contract, if I sign it as it stands now states

Customer Question

My employment contract, if I sign it as it stands now states I cannot compete in any of my skills for a period of 2 years for the entire state of Florida. Is this reasonable?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
HelloThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this this regardI suggest no. It is not reasonable AND you can click onto this link to read the Florida statute in this regard In part, it states:(b) The person seeking enforcement of a restrictive covenant shall plead and prove the existence of one or more legitimate business interests justifying the restrictive covenant. The term “legitimate business interest” includes, but is not limited to:1. Trade secrets, as defined in s. 688.002(4).2. Valuable confidential business or professional information that otherwise does not qualify as trade secrets.3. Substantial relationships with specific prospective or existing customers, patients, or clients.4. Customer, patient, or client goodwill associated with:a. An ongoing business or professional practice, by way of trade name, trademark, service mark, or “trade dress”;b. A specific geographic location; orc. A specific marketing or trade area.5. Extraordinary or specialized training.Any restrictive covenant not supported by a legitimate business interest is unlawful and is void and unenforceable. Please note that I can only provide information for what you ask. In that regard, if you have other questions or need clarification, please let me know here. Otherwise, I would appreciate a Positive Rating as that is how I get credit for my time.​Thank you