Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  More than 30 years in legal practice.
17897874

Can a person be held liable a contract as they

Customer Question

Can a person be held liable for signing a contract as they are being loaded on a life flight in critical condition
Category: Employment Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The contract was service of life flight
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney. I will do whatever I can to provide an honest and accurate answer to your question.
There is a legal presumption of consent for lifesaving emergency services. So, yes, the patient can be held liable.
Best regards.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even in critical condition, with an open ended contract, that gives no cost of service prediction
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No undue influence, medically compromised
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for following up. Unfortunately, yes, there is no rule voiding a contract if you are medically compromised. There is a presumption of consent.
Otherwise, no emergency medical service provider would ever get paid. That is why there is a legal presumption of consent for lifesaving treatment.
Best regards.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Then why sign at all
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
You have the right to decline treatment.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In critical condition. That is wise.
Thanks anyway no help.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry that your medical condition is not a legal defense. That does not mean there are not other reasons the contract could be in breach and unenforceable. It just is not unenforceable based upon medical reasons.
I am not writing the law. It is the reality of the facts you have presented.
If you have no further questions, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.
Best regards.