Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

My daughter was shockingly fired by the Human Services employee

Customer Question

My daughter was shockingly fired by the Human Services employee of Sacred Heart hospital in Pensacola yesterday after 12 years of unblemished service as the lead Physical Therapist entrusted with a key for opening and closing a branch office made up of a combined therapy section and a medical section. The office-manager of the medical side of the premises without authorization reported to Human Resources of Pensacola’s Sacred Hospital that my daughter made an after-hours visit to the joint facility and removed cooked chicken from the refrigerator. (There is no posting that food could not be removed at any time. My daughter’s motivation was to feed her family or otherwise have her son miss a scheduled kick-box class award ceremony). The firing was taken without my daughter’s awareness. Neither was her only supervisor informed. Through the years, he yearly rendered outstanding reports about my daughter’s performance, leadership and on-the-job behavior. This was a clear breach of change of command not to mention sorrowful character assassination. My daughter is the only trained vaginal therapist in Pensacola so her loss to Sacred Heart and patents would also impact others medically. Had she not done so, and cooked a full meal her son would not be able to attend a kickboxing class. The food isn’t an expense paid by the hospital, but, rather, was routinely given by drug-suppliers as a courtesy to therapists and staff in acknowledgement and appreciation of their physically taxing work. My daughter was, of course, aware that a video camera existed, but thought nothing of taking chicken intended for her and other workers in the first place. Although my daughter believes her skill will allow her to find another job, she is deeply aggrieved that the fallout damage to her reputation and possibly pension plan will be devastating. Moreover, the cruel and sudden way in which she was removed from a position she loved along with work colleagues is heart rending. She and her husband were financially hurt by the flooding of their home and vehicle in 2014. Losing her income would compound the family’s financial stress. Neither I nor my daughters know much about tort law. PLEASE ADVISE about what action we should take to rectify the situation. My husband wants my daughter to sue and ask for reparation. Nothing he says is more important than one’s professional reputation especially in the field my daughter has chosen for her life’s work.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts not participate in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.
I am sorry to hear about this situation.
Do you believe that her termination was due to discrimination (as in, race, religion, gender, etc)?
Or not?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.