Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

I've been with this same company 1/2 years. My title

Customer Question

I've been with this same company for 8 1/2 years. My title is Recruiting and Sales manager which I was over the corporate office and another office in Augusta GA. They owner comes in one day and says they are bringing in a VP of operations to take over my responsibilities at corporate and possibly my Augusta office as well. He told me I was going to a sales role for the company and to embrace it. Then I received my commission and bonus check at the end of the month and they took all my money away from my Augusta office without notice. Also, it was never finalized that he was going to take the Augusta office away from me at all. I feel all of this was done in a very wrong and unethical way. They moved my out of my office to get to this man and moved me to another office building next door. I have been with this company since it started, my gut feeling is telling me this is all wrong in some way.
Category: Employment Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything I can do about this situation?
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. I am very sorry to hear about this sudden transition for you within the company.
On a personal level, I agree that it is completely wrong how your employer has handled this. But unfortunately I must tell you that there is often a difference between what is "wrong" and what is against the law. Here, your employer conduct was clearly wrong but is not illegal and does not give rise to any legal claims.
The reason boils down to the fact that employment in the state of Georgia and South Carolina is "at will" absent an express agreement to the contrary. At will employment can be terminated or modified for any reason not amounting to discrimination on the basis of a legally protected trait (race, religion, gender, etc.) or retaliation for engaging in certain forms of legally protected conduct (filing a wage claim, taking FMLA leave, etc.). It doesn't matter whether the basis for termination is fair, reasonable or even true.
So, although what your employer did was wrong on a personal level, it just does not break any law. As an at will employee, your job can be changed at any time, regardless of what's fair and how long you've been with the company.
I'm afraid that all you can do here is attempt to reason with your employer, or seek alternative employment on more favorable terms elsewhere. You cannot, however, sue your employer to get back your previous position, or collect damages arising from this change in responsibilities.
I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not what you were hoping to hear. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.
If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.