Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

My company is an after school provider, located in California

Customer Question

My company is an after school provider, located in California with less than 50 employees, due to lack of business we have to shut down the business, there is no compensation owed to employees. We are thinking that we only need to send a letter to employees notifying them of the company's decision. Right?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You legally do not have to send out a letter under law, you can simply call them or send text messages notifying them, but the moral and ethical thing to do is send them a letter explaining that the business is closing and there will be no further employment.
You also need to submit your dissolution to the secretary of state to close up your business and properly wind it up as well.