Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

Since April 2014 my department has been downsized from 7 to

Customer Question

Since April 2014 my department has been downsized from 7 to recently 3 and a support technician. Recently hired micromanager requiring reports and time consuming procedures. I have been called into the front office at least twice this month. I have experienced high blood pressure, increasing chest pains, night sweats and other stress related symptoms. Most recently crying at work. My psychiatrist reccomended at least a week off from work, last month before my most recent total come apart where I was told that insurance never killed anyone. I cannot see my psychiatrist until my next scheduled appt 7/22. But have taken off work due to the severity of my physical symptoms. My superior is telling that HR is requiring a letter from my Dr ASAP, which I can provide but they will not allow me to send it directly to HR but must bring it them to forward. This seems invasive. Is it legal?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.
Unfortunately, there is no legal requirement that certifications of an employee's health condition be routed through HR. HR is just a branch of the company, and the company is free to structure itself however it wants. It could eradicate the HR department all together if it wanted to.
Employers are entitled to reasonable medical verification of an employee's illness. While understandably this can make an employee feel uncomfortable, it is not against any law, and the employee's only options are to comply with such request or to face whatever consequences the employer desires in response to non-compliance.
I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not what you were hoping to hear. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.
If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As expected American corporations are free to deal with their employees as they care, as brute animals with no rights or respect. Thank you for your confirmation of that....feeling hopeless
I am very sorry for the position you are in. I wish I could tell you that the law provided greater protection, but I am of course limited to tell you what the law actually says here. Unfortunately, your employer can require that you deliver the medical certification to whomever at the company they want to put in charge of receiving it. If I can provide any clarification or help you any further, please let me know.
Was I able to answer your question? Please let me know if I can do anything else to help....