John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

I am a 1099 employee, with a contract that states" either party

Customer Question

I am a 1099 employee, with a contract that states" either party may terminate this agreement , for no reason, with a 30 day notice."
On 6/24 - I contacted my Inside Sales Manager to ask about the possibility of gaining territory adjacent to mine that was being vacated due to retirement of that Territory Rep.
No answer came
On 6/26 - The Company that I rep for sent me an email from their Careers Site ,with the opening of a position that "matches my qualifications"( their words ) which includes both my Territory and the Retired Rep's Territory,as a Company W2 employee position.
On 6/27- I applied
On 6/29 - The Inside Sales Manager called with the information that the company was going to consolidate the Territory and if I wanted to keep my job, I would need to apply for it.
MY Question is, Was my 30 day notice breached ?and are they in default ? Do I have any recourse?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today.

When did they terminate your position for which you had the contract?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was told until the position was filled to keep working the Territory...business as usual, so the contract , I would assume, is still in effect.

By listing the Job on the Career Site, would that not show their intent ?

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
My opinion would be it is not breached because they gave you notice on 6/29. The contract doesn't state how they must give notice. Thus unless they terminate you before 7/29, they wouldn't be in breach. They have showed you their intent, yes, but that doesn't mean anything because the contract dictates that they'd tell you their intent with a 30 day notice. I don't see this as a breach at this point in time. They do for certain however have to keep you on until 7/29.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers; otherwise the website just keeps your payment and doesn’t credit me at all. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.