Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I'm doing a summer internship and I got hurt while at work.

Customer Question

I'm doing a summer internship and I got hurt while at work. I was taken via ambulance to the hospital at my request. They are legally required to pay for the medical costs because the incident occured at work, however I believe they are now attempting to claim that they will not consider me for a job offer post graduation due to low work performance. In the event that I had extenuating circumstances and had to end my internship early could I be found resposible for my medical expenses and ask to leave on good terms with the company? I would like to work for this company long term and I can't figure out how to do it...
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
Hello
This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard
In the event that you have "extenuating" circumstances and have to end your internship early the company is still responsible for the medical bills as the accident occurred while you were working for them.
Any employer may terminate or lay off any employee for any reason that is not based on discrimination such as your age, religion, race, a disability or national origin.
So yes. You can be asked to leave and as long as it is not based on a discrimination factor there is nothing illegal about it.
Please note that I can only provide information for what you ask. In that regard, if you have other questions or need clarification, please let me know here. Otherwise, I would appreciate a Positive Rating as that is how I get credit for my time.
​Thank you