John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

My employer & union trustee have agreed to take funds previously

Customer Question

My employer & union trustee have agreed to take funds previously negotiated in our current collective bargaining agreement for a pension plan & put it in the unions' 401K instead.
Both parties have agreed to make participation 100% mandatory for both union & non-union employees.
The money is set to be taken against our will and we get no say or vote in the matter.
Is this legal? What law or laws govern your answer?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today
It is legal because the union essentially acts as your agent. In other words, when the union negotiates something - e.g., wage, benefits, pension - it's as if you agreed to the same negotiation. There is no exception to this in benefits law; nothing that would allow you to override the union's status as exclusive agent in control of mandatory subjects of bargaining. So when the union agreed that a percentage of your wage would go to the 401k pension, it's as if you had agreed to the same. Normally, absent a union, the employee cannot have anything except taxes taken from his wage without consent.
I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers; otherwise the website just keeps your payment and doesn’t credit me at all. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you sure. Section 40.1-29 of the Code of Virginia prohibits an employer from withholding any part of wages .. except for payroll, wage or withholding taxes without the written & signed authorization of the employee. How does benefits law supersede state law?
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
First, National Labor Relations Act (NLRA) law is federal and trumps state law. Under that law a union acts as exclusive agent for its employees. Second, when your union does things like negotiates your pay, benefits, and employees' contributions to benefits its as if you made that election yourself. I am absolutely clear of that. Your recourse is through petitioning your union leadership if you disagree with the deal they negotiated for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So if union & management agreed that employees could park in handicapped spaces on job site that would be alright?
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
No, local criminal or civil laws are not preempted by the NLRA when the two laws do not cover the same subject matter. Essentially handicapped spaces are not a term and condition of employment. I understand your trepidation in believing me, someone you never met or know, here is a long line of cases of cases beginning with a case called Garmon, in which the Supreme Court of the United States found that NLRA law controls these matters. It's known as Garmon preemption - you can find articles on it openly on the internet here: https://www.google.com/search?newwindow=1&q=what+is+garmon+preemption&oq=what+is+garmon+pre&gs_l=serp.1.0.33i21l2.231839.240970.0.243702.18.18.0.0.0.0.175.1912.4j13.17.0....0...1c.1.64.serp..5.13.1475.WArf5dg4Arc