Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

I have been working at my current position since 2013

Customer Question

Hello I have been working at my current position since 2013 in 2014 my employer stopped taking federal taxes out of my paycheck without my knowledge I had received a pay raise so I didn't notice the difference in my check and I have direct deposit. I now owe 7000 dollars on my federal taxes that I don't have. Can I sue for this I don't understand how documents can be changed without my notice. I did not go to school to learn taxes I barely know how to read a paystub. How can someone help me?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Before I ask questions about your situation, I need to make sure that you understand how the website and rating system works. Many times in employment law situations the law is not in favor of the employee. When that happens we have to give the person asking the question bad news. It's true, but sometimes it's not in their favor. On this website the customer rates us experts at the end of the question and answer and every now and then a customer is unhappy about the law and gives a negative rating. Unfortunately, that negative rating is taken by the website to be a reflection on me, indicating that I wasn't polite, wasn't prompt, or provided a wrong answer. I'm more than happy to discuss this with you, but I just wanted to make sure that you understood how the system works and that you will rate me on my professionalism and not on whether the law is in your favor or not, since I have no control over that. With that understanding, do you want me to discuss this in more detail with you?