Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

I got terminated from my job the reason of termination

Customer Question

Hello I got terminated from my job the reason of termination is rule 16-101 can you tell me what that rule is? I was terminated because I applied for an apartment.....I used fake pay stubs when I applied with my name and my job name on them.....the apartment
submitted them to my HR and I got terminated 2 weeks later......is there anything I can do?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, the rule is about using fake or falsified documents of the employer, which is fraud. This is termination for good cause by the employer for you falsifying employer documents and as it is termination for good cause you would be denied any unemployment benefits.

The only thing you can do is approach HR and explain why you felt the need to submit false pay stubs and why you had a good reason to do so and ask them to reconsider the termination, but that is all you can legally do I am afraid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it considered of the employer bring as though it was not done at work or it was not a work pay stub that was altered?
Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, the fact you altered an employer's document (pay stub) regardless where you did it, at work or not at work, it would reflect on the employer and it is legal grounds to terminate the employee for good cause.