Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

I work in the state of Virginia financial institution.

Customer Question

I work in the state of Virginia for a financial institution. My manager and I have not been getting along and I am afraid that my mid year review could be tinted. Is it in my best interest to quit without completing my mid year review?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.
The only benefit to quitting is that you can tell prospective employers that you voluntarily resigned rather than that you were fired. However, this benefit is largely overrated because any prospective employer is still going to want to know WHY you quit, and they will also be free to contact your former employer who has the right to share their opinion of your work.
A "termination" isn't as big a black mark as most employees assume it is. Not all employment is an ideal fit. Employers recognize that the needs of one former employer may not have matched up with the skill and personality traits of one employee, but that does not necessarily mean the employee would not be a valuable asset to another company. A string of successive terminations from jobs would be concerning, but a single termination generally will not derail your career. Most people get fired from a job at some point in their life. It happens.
Quitting will generally result in your denial of unemployment benefits, which means you will be creating a situation where you have no ability to support yourself. Quitting also means you'll be conducting your entire job search while you are unemployed. Studies have shown that it's a bit easier to find a job when you are already employed. It has to do with employers wanting applicants whom they perceive to be "in demand." Lastly, if you think your present employer will say unflattering things about you in response to a reference request, starting to look for a job NOW, while still employed, is a really good idea because prospective employers will not ask your current employer for a reference check out of respect for your current employment. You might as well take advantage of that window rather than squandering it by quitting before your employer otherwise would have let you go.
Of course, how you choose to proceed is entirely up to you. I hope this discussion of the pros and cons of quitting versus fired is helpful to you in making your decision.
Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further. If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.