Ray, Employment lawyer
Experience:  30 years in Employment law
8534270

In the state of Texas, how many years back can an employer

Customer Question

In the state of Texas, how many years back can an employer check your background?
Category: Employment Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If i have a felony from 10 years ago, will that show on my background check even though they only check 7 years
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you tonight.
Here Texas makes a distinction about background checks for jobs that pay over $75,000 per year and those that makes less. If the job pays less than $75,000 employers are more limited in what they can look at. For jobs over $75,000 they can look longer.
If the position pays less than $75,000 then employers are only permitted to look back at your record from the last 7 years.
For positions paying over $75,000 they can look at your record – pretty much forever. So it depends on the salary as to how long they look.If you are seeking a job over $75 k you may want to look into expungement or leave it off and see if they find it knowing if you list it they won't hire you.
I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
Reference.http://kielichlawfirm.com/employer-background-checks-texas-show/
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
Thanks again for the chance to help you.