Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  More than 30 years in legal practice.
17897874

My wife was terminated from a very prominent company and she

Customer Question

My wife was terminated from a very prominent company and she left her Facebook open by mistake on a company issued iPad. After her termination her facebook personal messages were accessed by her manager. Facebook access was allowed by this company during her employment. Is it illegal for her manager to open and read her personal messages and share this information with her existing employees?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney. I will do whatever I can to provide an honest and accurate answer to your question.

Unfortunately, anything on a company issued IPad or computer is viewable by the employer. It is not confidential from the employer and is considered the property of the company.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not necessarily a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.

Best regards.