Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

I have the same job description, same title, same pay as a

Customer Question

I have the same job description, same title, same pay as a coworker. Is it discrimination to require ME to drive to the office and allow my coworker to work from home?
Thank you!
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.
"Discrimination" simply describes two people who are treated differently for an arbitrary reason or no reason. However, discrimination is only against the law if the motivation for discriminating is a legally protected trait, such as race, religion, or disability.
So, for example, it would be illegal to force you to drive to the office if you could prove that your employer was making you do this because they have discovered you are a practicing Muslim and they do not like Muslims. But barring this sort of clear illegal motivation, an employer violates no law by treating one employee different than another, even if the reason is completely arbitrary or unfair, and even if there is no reason at all.
I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.
If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.