Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide employment and discrimination law advice in my own practice.
18572087

I've been working at my job 1/2 years and recently found

Customer Question

I've been working at my job for 3 1/2 years and recently found out I was pregnant. First incident was before I told my job, I had a urgent doctors appointment, my boss yelled and question me about he situation where's patients and other employees could hear. I later talked to him and told him how disrespected I felt and that was wrong of him. Another incident happened when I felt sick and told him I'd be going home after lunch and he yelled at me and made remarks about how is that going to help if I leave and I'm the type of person to do what I want anyways so whatever leave. I feel ever since I've announced my preganncy he treats me unfairly. He's made a notice explaining all employees to not have cell phones on during work after an incident where I was checking my email to see if my doctor had gotten back to me and he questioned me and got mad. Next day an employee was on her phone while with a patient, texting while the boss and I were two feet away, and nothing was said to that employee. I've asked him for extra help around office for few months now,expecially since I'm pregnant. Haven't gotten help, until few days ago he hired someone. Later that day I gave him my maturity leave notice in writing like he asked, asked him to sign my copy just to verify we went over it. He continued to to state that there will be things that need to happen first. Explained my attitude and how I need to change. All this led into a heated discussion about work and how he talks and treats me but insisted he is not harassing me or treating me different. I left crying and he refused to sign my maternity leave papers for my own records. I don't know what to do and feel to stressed for me and my baby's health to continue to work here. He won't fire me due to not wanting to pay disability. What can I do legally? Please help... I'm in California
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
I will respond to each concern that you listed. Some information may be favorable to you, some may not be, so I ask that you do not blame the messenger in those instances.
As far as your employer is concerned, legally he has a right to discipline and demand certain actions from you provided that such demands are not based on discriminatory factors. The fact that you left on your own, for example, is technically job abandonment and potentially grounds for termination if he did not grant you leave. So while you may need additional accommodations due to pregnancy, it does not give you the right or ability to do as you see fit. Having said that, you are also entitled to be a safe working environment--there is no law that requires you to be respected, but likewise you are entitled to be treated fairly and just like any other employee.
If you do feel that he is trying to get you to quit, then arguably that may be a hostile work environment. Provided that your boss has 15 or more employees, you can contact the EEOC and file a grievance with them by claiming gender discrimination stemming from pregnancy and retaliation. That is your best bet in pursuing this if you truly feel that he is targeting you with no basis. Just make sure you also do not give him grounds to do so.
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.