Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  In-House Counsel & Litigator
12711280

Former employee is requesting company handbook and copies of

Customer Question

Former employee is requesting company handbook and copies of their personnel file. If this person is no longer an employee of the company, what do we legally have to provide him with?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
No. If they are no longer an employee, they have no rights to this information outside of a subpoena or court order. Of course, if it is subpoenaed that means that a court case has ensued anyway. So, as a matter of course, I would not provide this information to this individual. Moreover, I do not ever make a habit of releasing an employee handbook unless a court tells me that I must release it. In short, this person has no legal rights to that which he has requested. You should turn him down in writing and state that both items are the property of your business and you do not release that information. Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Best wishes going forward and please rate my answer positively! Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
My pleasure! Please rate my answer positively (5 stars), so that I can receive credit for my work. Thanks
Did you have any other questions or comments? I want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible as you move forward. Thanks!