Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Employment Law Expert
11068102

I just got a new job and they will check references and

Customer Question

Hi, I just got a new job and they will check references and I resigned from a job while on disciplinary for gross misconduct but I did resign because I had some personal issues and I was starting a new job but I did not state that in my resignation letter.
Can they put the details on the reference if they are asked reason for leaving?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.There is no law that states they can't put details on the reference so the answer to your question is yes.Please ask any follow up questions in this thread.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
;thanks for replying, so will they put reason for leaving as resigned due to personal issues or resigned while under suspension?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
That is a company policy issue and is not defined by the law at all. Most companies just put down either "resigned" or "terminated" now but there is absolutely nothing in the law that states they can't give a complete description of what happened.