Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  In-House Counsel & Litigator
12711280

My questions are regarding wrongful termination, I worked for

Customer Question

my questions are regarding wrongful termination, I worked for this organization for 10 years nine months holding exceptional retention numbers which equates into approximately $16 million in revenue for this organization. Over the last 3 to 5 years I felt hunted by management as the most tenured employee in my department. Hunted in terms of the dialogue I would have with potential customers regarding compliance and ethical behavior. Our compliance training in summary would state never to do anything that you would want your family to read about in the newspaper, if indeed this occurred I know my family would be proud. However I was terminated due to a compliance violation and when I reported this to the state for unemployment, my employer disputed the report stating that I was simply laid off! I worked for the Career Education Corp. a multi billion dollar organization who wants to remain competitive and profitable as you study this organization they're doing less to be competitive and more to be profitable by closing campuses and cutting cost. I however worked for their largest moneymaking institution, and was considered among many one of their high achievers and have the awards to prove, I also invested my time and money for my own education and currently am paying for tuition for my son at the school. at 57 years old not 27 starting over has been shattering for my family do I have a case?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Potentially. In this situation, you are employed at will. This means that the employer can terminate you for any reason or no reason at all, and be completely within there legal parameters in so doing. Illinois recognizes three exceptions to the status of employment at will: Public Policy, Implied Contract and the Covenant of Good Faith and Fair Dealing. The last exception seems to fit your situation the best and it just so happens to be the widest departure from the traditional at will employment. It has been interpreted to mean either that employer personnel decisions are subject to a “just cause” standard or that terminations made in bad faith or motivated by malice are prohibited. So, if you can prove bad faith here or that it was motivated by malice, then you have a good case. If not, then the case is not viable. The only other legally viable case you may have is if you were discriminated against based on your age, race, gender or if you have a disability. The Civil Rights Act protects you in those classes. If you think that may be in play, then you can file a grievance with the EEOC and they will investigate the matter. If they find evidence of discrimination, they will allow you to file suit in federal court for damages and attorney fees. So, it is impossible for me to definitely state that you have a sure fire case that will result in damages. The employer is granted broad discretion in this area of the law. However, you are in a state that gives rights to the employees not seen in other places. Based on what you have shared with me, I think you likely do have a case for wrongful termination and/or discrimination (most likely age based discrimination). It is typically best to find an employment law attorney in close proximity to you to handle these affairs. Chicago has some great ones. Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please also rate my answer positively. Best wishes going forward!
Did you have any other questions or comments? I want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible as you move forward. Thanks!