ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

Can information about reasons be given to a

Customer Question

Can information about reasons for termination be given to a prospective employer?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer.
Yes, information about your termination is not "protected" by law. Your former employer can inform potential employers about it. Now they can't tell them false statements of material fact. That would be "defamation", and could be actionable if you could prove that the defamatory statements prevented you from getting a job. But if they're true statements, then it's not actionable, I'm sorry to say.
I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is the law. I hope that clears things up anyway. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!
I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know.If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!