Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

Over 30yrs airline Manager in merged airline and the hiring

Customer Question

Over 30yrs airline Manager in merged airline and the hiring Director has been rumored to say he will never hire a person from my airline eventhought I have interviewed once and denied a 2nd interview and they did hire people with less qualifications. Do I have a case??
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under the IL law, employment is considered at will, unless you are under a union contract or other written contract for employment that mandates you have to be hired. Absent such a contract, the employer can hire/fire/promote/demote an employee for no reason at all or for any reason at all EXCEPT the age/race/sex/disability/national origin of the employee. So, does discrimination happen in the workplace, yes it does, but all discrimination is not illegal discrimination that can be sued upon only discrimination based only on age/race/sex/disability/national origin is considered illegal discrimination that can be sued upon.
Thus, if you are being discriminated against based on your being with the other airline, that is not illegal discrimination I am afraid, even though it may be discrimination.