Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

My son works part-time in a corporate sponsored wellness

Customer Question

My son works part-time in a corporate sponsored wellness center as a fitness specialist. He had to sign a non-compete clause to gain employment. He works 24-27 hours per week. As this is not a livable wage, he was seeking additional employment. His employer is throwing the non-compete clause in his efforts, and also says he cannot work in the exercise science field in Midland County for 2 years. Is the non-compete legal and enforceable?

My son is 26 yrs old, and has a BS in Exercise Science.  He was working more hours, when the center was short staffed, and has a letter of commendation for the additional time invested during short staffing period.  Now the hours have been reduced to keep under budget.  He really enjoys his job, and the field, but can't pay his bills.  He has a opportunities, but can employer really keep him from another job for 2 years?

Category: Employment Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.
Hello, In which state jurisdiction is your son employed?