Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

A friend applied job the person looked at her application

Customer Question

A friend applied for a job the person looked at her application and said your for a job at 70 years old.....she replied SS is not enough to live off of. He replied... well can't your children help? Does this not qualify for age discrimination?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
Hello
This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard
I am sorry to hear your friend has been treated in this manner.
Yes, if the friend was not hired, and that was said then it is a basis for age discrimination.
I suggest, your friend will want to consider filing an age discrimination complaint with the EEOC. That can be done at www.eeoc.gov
Your friend has 180 days from the date of this incident to file that complaint. Once it is investigated, if it is deemed age discrimination, the EEOC can offer mediation, opt to file a lawsuit on behalf of your friend OR issue a Notice of Right to Sue. If a Notice is issued, then your friend should consider consulting with a local attorney to discuss a possible lawsuit.
Please note that I can only provide information for what you ask. In that regard, if you have other questions or need clarification, please let me know here. Otherwise, I would appreciate a Positive Rating as that is how I get credit for my time.
​Thank you