Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

I was never given the opportunity to retire from my position

Customer Question

I was never given the opportunity to retire from my position as an Elementary School Teacher in 1992 after completing Breast Cancer and Ovarian Cancer ( two separate cancers ) and 9 months of chemo. The Teachers Union never contacted me in my recovery and I never got a pension. As a single mother I had no one to help me at that time either.
Now 23 years later I'm mentally and physically healthy enough to wonder what happened. So after contacting the NYS pension board they told me I had to be a Substitute teacher for ONE DAY... and I would be reinstated and eligible for retirement. I did so on Jan.31, 2015. To this day, June 23, I still have not received a NICKEL... from NYS Pension Dept. What should be my next step ?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
When you left your position with the school, were you vested in the pension plan at the time?
Have you sent them a written request for your pension, short staffed or not they have to provide an answer to you in a reasonable time?