Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide employment and discrimination law advice in my own practice.
18572087

I live in NJ. Are you familiar with the laws?

Customer Question

Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I happen to be New Jersey licensed. What specifically can I answer for you tonight?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I signed a non-compete mid term with no compensation mid term while working for an insurance agency. It was a satellite office to the main office, 2 hours away. They decided to close my branch without warning. The main office is 2 hours away from my branch. The non compete does not have a time frame or geological restriction. Can they hold me to it with no time frame specif

ed?

Under New Jersey law such non-competes are deemed void and unenforceable. Typically three factors are focused upon in any non-compete agreement. Those are typically the length of time the non-compete is in place, the scope of the non-compete based on industry and specialization, and also the geographical limitation. Everything is generally on a subjective scale, meaning that depending on other terms sometimes a very broad geographical restriction may be upheld, or a longer time period if the specialization is very very narrow. But not having any of that listed makes the contract too restrictive as it can now unreasonably bar employment for life. As such something like this would generally not be seen as a reasonable agreement.
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.