Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

I was employed by Old Dominion Job Corps in Amherst,Virginia

Customer Question

I was employed by Old Dominion Job Corps in Amherst,Virginia for nine years and ten months and had an excellent work record . I was terminated because I was accused of staying in a males dorm room while a female student got dressed after being found hiding in the locker covered by a robe that was hanging inside of the locker. I was accused of staying in the room while she dressed which I did not do. The practice at the Job Corps center has always been and still is when a male or female student is found in the room of the opposite sex either in a sexual act or after a sexual act , the residential advisor stays in the room until the student is dressed and that person is escorted out and to the supervisors'office for disciplinary action. My question is what is the department of labors' policy on how this should be handled?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
The Department of Labor actually has no policy at all on how this should be handled by a private employer. Employers are not regulated in how they conduct their own internal investigations or discipline. The DOL only handles issues of unfair pay, overtime issues, minimum wage issues, failure to pay and discrimination based on Family Medical Leave use. The EEOC deals with discrimination based on race, religion, gender, age or disability. Without an allegation of one of those forms of discrimination, government agencies simply do not get involved in how an employer conducts their internal disciplinary actions.