Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

Recently fired from my job of 21 years, my employer didn't

Customer Question

recently fired from my job of 21 years, my employer didn't follow union rules of disciplinary action, being grieved by the union, but have been unemployed for 6 weeks now, dozens of job applications but told my previous boss is saying I am unhirable
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, there is not a lot you can do until the union grievance is completed. For the loss of the job, because you can sue you have to complete all internal "administrative processes" first. That means completing your union grievance and getting the rejection from that. Then you'd be in a position to file a local lawsuit with an attorney for breach of your collective bargaining agreement....like breach of contract, but using the CBA as a mass contract. As for your boss saying you are unhireable, you need to hire a local attorney send him a "cease and desist" letter threatening a lawsuit for defamation of character if he does not stop bad mouthing you to potential employers.