Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

I'm a disabled veteran working in a auto parts store. Recently

Customer Question

I'm a disabled veteran working in a auto parts store. Recently I was demoted from manager back to counter. The day that I was demoted my district manager made a comment to someone he was talking to on the phone "that's why we hire the handicap to give us something to laugh at". My question is do I have grounds to bring a case against the company?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today. I bring nearly 20 years of experience in various legal disciplines.
You certainly have grounds to file a complaint with the EEOC so that they can further investigate the matter.
A single comment isn't generally enough to support a lawsuit, but if the EEOC investigation reveals issues with the demotion and they connect that with the comment, then you have an adverse employment action (demotion) and a seeming illegal motivation and THAT is enough to support a lawsuit.
But you have to go through the EEOC first.