Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

Slander an lies by a co worker. I am suppose to be his supervisor.

Customer Question

Slander an lies by a co worker. I am suppose to be his supervisor. But he is involving my personal life and family.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today. I bring nearly 20 years of experience in various legal disciplines.
Unfortunately, unless you are dealing with discrimination based on race, religion, gender, age, disability or FMLA use in the workplace, the employer has no legal obligation to deal with this sort of harassment situation. Certainly, the employer should take into consideration the effect can have on the workplace, but that is just an appropriate business consideration, not a legal requirement.
As for the defamation side of things, making one of those cases financially viable can be very difficult. You'd have to prove financial harm to get more than a just nominal damages.
I would recommend either hiring an attorney for the limited engagement of just writing a "cease and desist" letter to scare this person into silence OR filing a small claims lawsuit on your own with the same goal in mind.