Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  In-House Counsel & Litigator
12711280

I worked Firearms in the late 1970s thru mid 1980s

Customer Question

I worked for Marlin Firearms in the late 1970s thru mid 1980s and was vested in their pension plan. Eventually they were sold to another business and then became part of at least one business group. How do I go about finding about any pension that I was supposed to be vested for when I left their employ?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
I hope this message finds you well. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of employment law experience. It is a pleasure to assist you today. It sounds overly simple, but the entities that purchased Marlin likely picked up all assets and liabilities in the process - including the pension liabilities and assets. That should have occurred again and again as the company was bought and sold anew. As such, you need to first contact the current owners of the company. In 2007, Marlin was bought out by Remington. However, Remington is owned by a conglomerate called the Freedom Group. I would start there and work back. Before you begin, you need to gather your information with as much specificity as possible. This would include the approximate dates you began work and the approximate days you left work as well. I would recommend sending a certified letter with a return receipt to the HR department as well as the legal department of the Freedom Group, Marlin and Remington. Explain who you are and that you can provide them with other information, like a birth certificate and social security number if they need it to locate your pension information. Ask them to respond in writing within 10 business days of the post mark on the letter. That should get you where you are wanting to go. Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please rate my answer positively as well. Best wishes going forward!
Did you have any other questions or comments? I just want to make sure you are comfortable moving forward. Thanks