Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  More than 30 years in legal practice.
17897874

My coworker took emails I printed out off our collective printer

Customer Question

My coworker took emails I printed out off our collective printer and says she wil ltake them to eeo to use in building a case against me. Is this legal can she steal emails off a printer -refuse to turn the property over to the person whose name is ***** ***** and take them out of context to try to make a legal case against them?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney. I will do whatever I can to provide an honest and accurate answer to your question.
Before I answer a bit more detail would be helpful please.
This was a work computer, email and printer?
Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes I was at work, printed the material and she took it off the printer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you need more information?
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information.
Since these emails were made using a work account and computer, and printed off with a work printer, they are legally the property of the employer and would be viewed, in the way the co-worker obtained them, as a strictly internal matter.
Therefore, your recourse is to raise your complaint with HR regarding this co-worker's misuse of company property.
It is the employer's right and duty to resolve this in accordance with their own internal policies.
I hope this is helpful. If you have any follow up questions feel free to post them. It is never a problem.
Thank you.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Did you have further questions before you rate my service?