Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  In-House Counsel & Litigator
12711280

IS IT LEGAL COMPANY YOU HAVE WORKED YRS AND HAVE

Customer Question

iS IT LEGAL FOR A COMPANY YOU HAVE WORKED FOR 12 YRS AND HAVE EARNED THE EQUILVANT OF 5 WEEKS VACATION AND SICK DAYS - TO REDUCE THAT BY 1/5 IF YOU START WORKING 32 HOURS A WEEK AND NOT 40 (DUE TO HEALTH) I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO KEEP MY HEALTH INSURANCE WITH THOSE 32 HRS A WEEK.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of employment law experience.
Benefits, such as insurance and vacation leave, are not specifically covered under statute in Florida or the federal government relative to proportion of accumulation relative to time worked.
Therefore, it is legal, in a pure sense, to do what you employer is doing UNLESS: (1) they are violating their own policy relative to what you have accumulated; or (2) they are discriminating against you based on your age, race, gender or handicap is how they give you benefits relative to other individuals.
If you have evidence of either of the aforementioned two issues, then there are legal avenues of recourse available to you.
Otherwise, this is legal.
Let me know if you have any other questions or comments.
Please rate my answer positively as well.
Best wishes going forward!
Did you have any other questions or comments? I want you to be as comfortable as possible as you move forward with this issue. Thanks