Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law
19127644

Im a payroll secretary NYCDOE. past 20 years

Customer Question

Im a payroll secretary for the NYCDOE. For the past 20 years I have never received an unsatisfactory rating until now. This is my first year as a payroll secretary and I was thrown under the bus for my efforts. My principal and Assistant Principal have no real knowledge of the system I use and based their accusations on that. This is a black dot on a perfect record of service. Can a "U" rating be reversed?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the information and your question. Whether or not a unfavorable job review can be reversed when the employee is a member of a union is entirely dependent on the bargaining agreement and employer written policies. That said, if the grievance process, including arbitration if necessary, determines that the rating was issued in violation of policies or against any and all of the weight of the evidence, then they can generally always order that the rating be removed or upgraded. But again, because you are in a union, this will have to be handled through the grievance process.
Please let me know if you need any clarification.
Hello again,
I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 16th. For some unknown reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (in the pop up box for this question, which is how we get credit for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.
In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/
Thank you.