Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  In-House Counsel & Litigator
12711280

I am 70 yrs old Been with this co. yrs Have new mgr

Customer Question

I am 70 yrs old Been with this co. for 10 yrs Have new mgr who called me in today to tell me she was cutting me down to 1 or 2 days aweek as I can not meet the min req. of amount of work I must do First I do more work then anyone else in my dept second there is no list of the amount of work anyone must do Her first day there she came up to me and asked me how old I was I said 70 she said wow you are in good shape for being that old She is young and stupid we had words and I asked for a transfer she said she could not approve as I cant do the work and she wont let me go some place else and not do the work
Submitted: 1 year ago via EmployeeIssues.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of employment law experience. It is a pleasure to assist you today.
First off, I am sorry you are having to deal with this issue. Second, and to the point of your question, it appears to me that you are the subject of age discrimination, which is against federal law in view of the civil rights act.
In addressing the issue, you need to tell her that you feel as though you are being discriminated against based on your age and that they need to give you reason as to what you are allegedly not being able to do and the requirements thereof. You need to also formally request (email is fine) that you are not reduced in your work time and tell the employer that you feel this has to do with your age and nothing else.
If they persist, you need to set up a meeting with your local EEOC office and file a complaint for age discrimination. One you file it, if the employer retaliates, that will set up another law suit against them, even if the age discrimination suit does not go forward.
The EEOC will review the facts and if they find merit, allow you to file suit in federal court for age discrimination.
I think you have a VERY viable age discrimination case based on what you have shared with me here.
Let me know if you have any other questions.
Please rate my answer positively as well.
Best wishes going forward.
Did you have any other questions or comments? I want you to be as comfortable as possible as you move forward with this issue. Thanks